*EASY TWEET: .@Redskins and @USAA to recognize veterans and active duty service members at the annual #SalutetoService game Sunday night vs. Vikings #NFLSalute*
LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins and USAA will continue their tradition of honoring our nation’s veterans and active duty military through the team’s annual “Salute to Service Game, Presented by USAA” on Nov. 12. Kickoff for the game against the Minnesota Vikings is set for 1:00 p.m.
The Redskins and USAA, the Official Military Appreciation Sponsor of the Washington Redskins, have joined forces throughout 2017 to recognize veterans and active duty service members, as well as connect local military with the team. At the Redskins Training Camp in August, USAA hosted an NFL Boot Camp for local military on the practice field, followed by a VIP viewing of the team’s practice. During the preseason, USAA and the team hosted a base practice at Join Base Andrews, where military members were invited to a VIP viewing of the walk-through with a post-practice VIP autograph session.
On Oct. 30, USAA hosted a unit interaction at Joint Base Andrews, where Redskins players experienced the daily responsibilities of the base. The players interacted with the 113th wing, D.C. Air National Guard in a memorable visit to the F-16 hangar where they tested flight equipment and met with military members on the base.
During halftime of Sunday’s game, a special vignette will be displayed on the HD video boards showcasing these military events and initiatives.
Prior to kickoff, the Redskins will present a special military challenge coin, designed and created by USAA, for use in the official coin toss. In what has become a long-standing tradition, challenge coins are given by one member of the military to another to reward or encourage excellence, boost morale or to recognize fellow brother- or sister-in-arms.
In addition to the tributes detailed above, the following Salute to Service elements as well as pregame and in-game ceremonies will recognize veterans and current members of America’s Armed Forces:
- The back of the end zones will feature Salute to Service goal post wraps, pylons with camouflage ribbon decals and wall banners.
- The USO-Metro Club presented by Lockheed Martin (located across from Section 109 on the main concourse) will open two hours before kickoff to all ticket holders with military IDs or current Redskins Salute members.
- A service member will participate in the team tunnel flag run-out during team introduction.
- 150 service members will participate in the pregame flag unfurling.
- Daniel Cortez, retired United States Marine from Virginia and descendant of the Tolteca Aztec Indian tribe, will be singing the National Anthem.
- MSgt Kerry Wilkerson with the United States Army Band will be singing God Bless America pre game.
- First Helicopter Squadron out of Andrews Air Force Base will perform a 4 helicopter unit flyover at the conclusion of the Anthem. They will be recognized during the third quarter on the field.
- A Black hawk helicopter will be on display in the RedZone lot and pilots will be recognized on the field during halftime.
- Army Humvee vehicles will be on display around ring road.
- An Army MATV vehicle will be on display on the green turf outside of the A Tower Suites entrance.
- An Army activation trailer will be in the RedZone Lot.
- The Military Order of the Purple Heart will host a recognition of Purple Heart recipients at halftime.
- A United States Army Enlistment Ceremony will take place during halftime officiated by the Deputy Commanding General Operations of United States Army.
For more information about Redskins Salute, visit www.redskinssalute.com or follow @RedskinsSalute on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. For more information on the NFL’s commitment to the military and veterans, visit www.nfl.com/salute.
Any questions regarding the Redskins Salute to Service game should be directed to Tish Carmona of Redskins Public relations at 703-726-7077 or firstname.lastname@example.org.