*EASY TWEET: .@Redskins and @USAA to recognize veterans and active duty service members at the annual #SalutetoService game Sunday night vs. Packers #NFLSalute*
LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins and USAA will continue their tradition of honoring our nation’s veterans and active duty military through the team’s annual “Salute to Service game, presented by USAA” on Nov. 20. Kickoff for the game against the Green Bay Packers is set for 8:30 p.m.
The Redskins and USAA, the Official Military Appreciation Sponsor of the Washington Redskins, have joined forces throughout 2016 to recognize veterans and active duty service members, and connect local military with the team. At the Redskins Training Camp in July, USAA hosted an NFL Boot Camp for local military on the practice field, followed by a VIP viewing of the team’s practice. During the preseason, USAA and the team hosted a base practice at Join Base Andrews, where military members were invited to a VIP viewing of the walk-through, with a post-practice VIP autograph session.
Earlier this month, USAA hosted a unit interaction at Joint Base Fort Myer, where Redskins players experienced the daily responsibilities of the base, interacting with current and former United States military in a memorable visit to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Caisson Platoon, and the military working dog (MWD) kennels.
During halftime of Sunday’s game, a special vignette will be displayed on the HD video boards showcasing USAA’s military events and initiatives.
Prior to kickoff, the Redskins will present a special military challenge coin, designed and created by USAA, for use in the official coin toss. In what has become a long-standing tradition, challenge coins are given by one member of the military to another to reward or encourage excellence, boost morale or to recognize fellow brother- or sister-in-arms. With the coin holding great significance, USAA’s design of the military challenge coin for the Salute to Service game pays homage to that revered military tradition.
In addition to the tributes detailed above, the following Salute to Service elements, as well as pregame and in-game ceremonies, are planned to recognize veterans and current members of America’s Armed Forces:
- Salute to Service goal post wraps, pylons with camouflage ribbon decals and wall banners in the back of the end zones
- Redskins Salute, the Official Military Appreciation Club of the team, will host a VIP pregame party for its members, which includes active duty service members, veterans and their families
- A service member from the Air Force will participate in the team tunnel flag run-out during team introductions
- The Golden Knights parachute jumpers will be included in an pre-game recognition on the field
- A member of the Army will sing the national anthem
- A Black hawk helicopter will be on display in the RedZone lot
- Army vehicles will be on display around ring road
- A K-9 demonstration will occur in the Bud Light Party Pavilion
- The Military Order of the Purple Heart Services Foundation will host a Purple Heart pinning ceremony at halftime
- A United States Army Enlistment Ceremony will take place during halftime
- The United States Marine Corps Marching Band will perform pregame
For more on how USAA appreciates our military, veterans, and their families, through its Redskins and NFL sponsorships, please visit www.salutetoservice.com.
For more information about Redskins Salute, visit www.redskinssalute.com or follow @RedskinsSalute on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. For more information on the NFL’s commitment to the military and veterans, visit www.nfl.com/salute.
Any questions regarding the Redskins Salute to Service game should be directed to Alexia Grevious of Redskins Public relations at 703-726-7077 or email@example.com.