LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins and USAA, the Official Salute to Service Partner of the Washington Redskins, will continue their tradition of honoring our nation’s veterans and active duty military by kicking off the month with #RedskinsSalute week.
On Oct. 30, USAA will host a unit interaction at the Pentagon where Redskins players will tour the facility and experience the daily responsibilities of the base. Leading up to Sunday’s game, Redskins alumni will make surprise appearances across the DMV and give away signed Redskins merchandise and gear.
The annual “Salute to Service Game, Presented by USAA” will be played on Nov. 4 vs. the Atlanta Falcons. USAA has subsidized tickets for military members with valid military IDs so that they may purchase tickets as low as $40 through this link: Redskins.com/MilitaryTickets. All military members with valid military IDs will receive up to 20 percent off all food items throughout the stadium courtesy of Levy.
Prior to kickoff, the Redskins will present a special military challenge coin designed and created by USAA for use in the official coin toss. In what has become a long-standing tradition, challenge coins are given by one member of the military to another to reward or encourage excellence, boost morale or to recognize fellow brothers- or sisters-in-arms.
During halftime of Sunday’s game, a vignette showcasing all Redskins Salute military events and initiatives sponsored by USAA will be displayed on the HD video boards. In addition to the tributes, the following Salute to Service elements as well as pregame and in-game ceremonies will recognize veterans and current members of America’s Armed Forces:
- The back of the end zones will feature Salute to Service goal post wraps, pylons with camouflage ribbon decals and wall banners.
- The USO-Metro Club presented by Lockheed Martin (located across from Section 109 on the main concourse) will open two hours before kickoff to all ticket holders with military IDs or current Redskins Salute members.
- A service member will participate in the team tunnel flag run-out during team introduction.
- 150 service members will participate in the pregame flag unfurling.
- Daniel Cortez, retired United States Marine from Virginia and descendant of the Tolteca Aztec Indian tribe, will be leading fans in the fight song.
- Military will provide a unit flyover at the conclusion of the National Anthem.
- A Black Hawk helicopter will be on display in the RedZone lot with additional military vehicles around the stadium.
- The Military Order of the Purple Heart will host a recognition of Purple Heart recipients at halftime.
- A United States Army Enlistment Ceremony will take place during halftime officiated by the Deputy Director of the Army National Guard.
The Redskins and USAA have joined forces throughout 2018 to recognize veterans and active duty service members, as well as connect local military with the team. At the Redskins’ Training Camp in August, USAA hosted an NFL Boot Camp for local military on the practice field followed by a VIP viewing of the team’s practice. During the preseason, USAA and the team hosted a base practice at Joint Base Andrews, where military members were invited to a viewing of the walk-through with a post-practice autograph session.
For more information about Redskins Salute, visit www.redskinssalute.com or follow @RedskinsSalute on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. For more information on the NFL’s commitment to the military and veterans, visit www.nfl.com/salute.
Any questions regarding the Redskins Salute to Service game should be directed to Tish Carmona of Redskins Public relations at 703-726-7077 or firstname.lastname@example.org.