REGULAR SEASON WEEK 16 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (7-7) VS. TENNESSEE TITANS (8-6)
Saturday, Dec. 22 | 4:30 p.m. ET
Nissan Stadium (69,143) | Nashville, Tenn.
The Washington Redskins will close out their 2018 road schedule when they face the Tennessee Titans in Nashville. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. ET at Nissan Stadium.
Saturday will mark the Redskins’ first trip to Nashville since 2010 and only their fourth trip since the Titans relocation prior to the 1997 season. The game will serve as the tiebreaker in the overall series. The last three games have been decided by three or less points with the Redskins winning the last two meetings.
Washington kept its playoff hopes alive after picking up a 16-13 win at the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 15. Newly acquired quarterback Josh Johnson made his first start since 2011 and recorded his fi rst career win as a starter.
The defense held the Jaguars to 20 net passing yards which ranks fifth all-time in net passing yards allowed in franchise history. It was the fewest net passing yards allowed by any team this season and the fewest since 2016.
Ryan Kerrigan led the defense with two sacks, and with the performance, passed Charles Mann (82.0) for second on the Redskins' all-time list in career sacks with 82.5
An up-close-and-personal look at the players from the team's 2018 Week 15 matchup against the Jacksonville Jaguars presented by CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield.
SERIES HISTORY: Redskins tie the Jaguars in all-time series, 6-6
Last meeting: Oct. 19, 2014 (19-17, WAS)
TELEVISION: NFL Network
Curt Menefee (play-by-play)
Steve Mariucci (color)
Nate Burleson (analysis)
Steve Tasker (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
Larry Michael (play-by-play)
Chris Cooley (analysis)
Rick “Doc” Walker (sidelines)
The Tennessee Titans enter the game having won three in a row and sit in the middle of the AFC playoff chase. Titans Head Coach Mike Vrabel is in his first season as an NFL head coach going 8-6 so far and winning five of their last seven games.
Quarterback Marcus Mariota has deal with injuries this year, but still completed 218-of318 passes for 2,418 yards, 11 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Mariota has given way to Blaine Gabbert in six different games and the veteran has thrown for 360 yards and two touchdowns over those games.
The Titans feature an explosive rushing attack, led by Derrick Henry. Henry has rushed 178 times for 882 yards and 11 touchdowns. Dion Lewis has had added another dimension to the team, with 152 rushes for 512 yards and a touchdown, plus 53 receptions 357 yards and a touchdown. Mariota has also aided the rushing attack with 350 yards rushing and two touchdowns of his own.
After a shaky rookie season, Corey Davis has become one of the most prolific receivers in the league. Davis has 57 receptions for 798 yards and four touchdowns and has lived up to his 5th overall selection in the 2017 NFL Draft. Taywan Taylor has aided Davis and Lewis, with 394 yards receiving on 32 catches.
Up front, defensive lineman Jurrell Casey has been electric, with seven sacks, 58 total tackles, 11 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. Veteran linebacker Wesley Woodyard leads the team in tackles once again with 89, while young linebacker Jayon Brown has emerged with 78 tackles and six sacks.
In the secondary, Logan Ryan has led the way, with 76 tackles and four sacks. Last season's first round pick Adoree' Jackson has also stepped up, with 60 tackles and two interceptions. Veteran Malcolm Butler also has two interceptions, plus 58 tackles and a sack.
Veteran kicker Ryan Succop continues to enjoy success in his fifth season in Tennessee. Succop notched a career long kick of 54 yards this year, while also connecting on 23-of-27 field goals overall.
Saturday's game between the Redskins and the Titans will be the 13th meeting between the two franchises, dating back to the Titans’ originally joining the NFL in 1970 as the Houston Oilers following 10 seasons in the AFL.
With a win on Saturday, the Redskins can break the all-time series between the two teams at 6-6. The teams’ most recent meeting came in 2014 when the Redskins converted a 22-yard fi eld goal as time expired to earn a 19-17 win in Nashville.
Saturday will mark the Redskins’ first trip to Nashville since 2010 and only their fourth trip since the Titan's relocation prior to the 1997 season.
- Date Game Result
- 10/10/1971 vs. Houston 22-13 W
- 10/19/1975 at Houston 13-10 L
- 9/2/1979 vs. Houston 29-27 L
- 9/15/1985 vs. Houston 16-13 W
- 10/30/1988 at Houston 41-17 L
- 11/3/1991 vs. Houston 16-13 (OT) W
- 10/19/1997 at Tennessee 28-14 L
- 10/30/2000 vs. Tennessee 27-21 L
- 10/6/2002 at Tennessee 31-14 W
- 10/15/2006 vs. Tennessee 25-22 L
- 11/21/2010 at Tennessee 19-16 (OT) W
- 10/19/2014 vs. Tennessee 19-17 W
NOTABLE REDSKINS/TITANS CONNECTIONS
Former Titans on Redskins:
- Defensive Quality Control Coach Cannon Matthews (2014-15)
- Senior Vice President of Communications Tony Wyllie (1998-00)
- LB Zach Brown (2012-15)
Former Redskins on Titans:
- Offensive Coordinator Matt LaFleur (2010-13)
- Quarterbacks Coach Pat O'Hara (QB-Player, 1994)
- Tight Ends Coach Arthur Smith (2007-08)
- LB Will Compton (2013-17)
- LB Brian Orakpo (2009-14)
Redskins from Tennessee:
- Quarterbacks Coach/Passing Game Coordinator Kevin O'Connell (Knoxville, Tenn.)
- Titans from the Washington D.C. area:
- Running Backs Coach Tony Dews (Clifton, Va.)
- Tight Ends Coach Arthur Smith (North Bethesda, Md.)
- WR Darius Jennings (Baltimore, Md.)
- OL Austin Pasztor (Fort Union, Va.)
- G Quinton Spain (Petersburg, Va.)
- G Aaron Stinnie (Charlottesville, Va.)
Redskins who went to college in Tennessee:
- LS Andrew East (Vanderbilt)
- Titans who went to college in the Washington, D.C. area:
- Running Backs Coach Tony Dews (Liberty)
- WR Darius Jennings (Virginia)
- Darius Kilgo (Maryland )
- OL Austin Pasztor (Virginia)
- G Aaron Stinnie (JMU)
Notable Pro Connections:
- Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (1994-95) worked for the Arizona Cardinals when Titans Wide Receivers Coach Rob Moore (WR-Player, 95-01) played there.
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (2011) worked with Titans Offensive Assistant Mike Sullivan (09-12) for the San Diego Chargers.
- Quarterbacks Coach/Passing Game Coordinator Kevin O’Connell (QB-Player, 2012) played for the Chargers when Titans Mike Sullivan worked there.
- O’Connell (QB-Player, 2008) played with Titans Head Coach Mike Vrabel (LB-Player, 01-08) on the New England Patriots. Titans Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees worked there from 2004-09.
- O’Connell (2015) worked for the Cleveland Browns when Titans OL Austin Pasztor (15-16) played there.
- Defensive Quality Control Coach Cannon Matthews (2016) also worked for the Browns when Titans OL Austin Pasztor played there.
- Matthews and Titans Offensive Assistant Mike Sullivan and RB Dion Lewis were all members of the Browns in 2013.
- Outside Linebackers Coach Chad Grimm (2014-15) worked with Titans Special Teams Coach Craig Aukerman (13-16) for the San Diego Chargers.
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O’Hara (2014-16) worked for the Jacksonville Jaguars when C Luke Bowanko (14-16) and Titans OL Austin Pasztor (12-14) played there.
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (2015-17) worked for the Denver Broncos when TE Vernon Davis (15) and Titans NT Darius Kilgo (15-16) played on the team.
- Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula (2007-15) worked for the San Francisco 49ers when TE Vernon Davis (06-15), QB Josh Johnson (14) and Titans QB Blaine Gabbert (14-16) all played on the team.
- Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams (2004-10) worked for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when Titans Inside Linebackers Coach Tyrone McKenzie (LB-Player, 10-11) played there.
Check out the top photos from the Redskins' Week 15 game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, December 16th, 2018.
Pro Player Connections:
- OL Tony Bergstrom (2012-15), T Austin Howard (14-16) and DL Stacy McGee (13-16) played on the Oakland Raiders when Titans Wide Receivers Coach Rob Moore (15-17) and Defensive Line Coach Terrell Williams (12-14) worked there.
- Howard and McGee also played on the Raiders with Titans LB Daren Bates and S Brynden Trawick in 2016.
- Bergstrom (2017), C Luke Bowanko (17) and T Austin Howard (17) played with Titans LB Kamalei Correa (16-18) on the Baltimore Ravens.
- Bergstrom (2016) played on the Houston Texans when Titans Head Coach Mike Vrabel (14-17), Outside Linebackers Coach Shane Bowen (16-17) and Quarterbacks Coach Pat O’Hara (15-17) worked there
- G Kyle Fuller (2017-18) and QB Josh Johnson (17) also played on the Texans when Titans Mike Vrabel, Shane Bowen, Pat O’Hara worked there.
- S D.J. Swearinger Sr. (2013-14) played on the Texans when Titans Mike Vrabel worked there.
- Swearinger Sr. (2015) played with Titans TE Luke Stocker (11-17) on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- LB Mason Foster (2011-14) and QB Josh Johnson (08-11) also played with Titans TE Luke Stocker on the Buccaneers.
- WR Jehu Chesson (2017) played with Titans TE Anthony Firkser (17-18) and DT Bennie Logan (16) on the Kansas City Chiefs.
- WR Michael Floyd (2016) played with Titans CB Malcolm Butler (14-17), NT Darius Kilgo (16), RB Dion Lewis (15-17) and CB Logan Ryan (13-16) on the New England Patriots.
- G Zac Kerin played with Titans OL Austin Pasztor (17-18) on the Atlanta Falcons.
- Kerin (2014-16) played with Titans TE MyCole Pruitt (15-16) on the Minnesota Vikings.
- RB Adrian Peterson (2007-16) also played with Titans TE MyCole Pruitt on the Vikings.
- Peterson played on the Vikings with Titans Inside Linebackers Coach Tyrone McKenzie (LB-Player, 11-13) when he was a player.
- Peterson played with Titans QB Blaine Gabbert on the Arizona Cardinals in 2017.
- RB Byron Marshall (2016-17) played with Titans DT Bennie Logan (13-16) on the Philadelphia Eagles.
- QB Mark Sanchez (2014-15) also played with Titans DT Bennie Logan and T Dennis Kelly (12-15) on the Eagles.
- LB Pernell McPhee (2011-14) played on the Baltimore Ravens when Titans S Brynden Trawick (13-15) and Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees (10-17) were members of the team.
- McPhee (2015-17) played with Titans TE MyCole Pruitt (16) on the Chigo Bears.
Notable Collegiate Connections:
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan (2008-11) worked with Titans Defensive Line Coach Terrell Williams (10-11) at Texas A&M. S Deshazor Everett played there from 2011-14.
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kavan Latham (2011) worked at Rutgers when Titans CB Logan Ryan (10-12) played there.
- Latham (2012) worked at Temple when Titans RB David Fluellen (10-13) played there.
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O’Hara (2009-10) also worked at Temple when Titans RB David Fluellen played there.
- Inside Linebackers Coach Kirk Olivadotti (2011-13) worked at Georgia when Titans C Ben Jones (08-11) played there.
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (OL-Player, 2004-09) played with Titans Offensive Line Coach Keith Carter (TE-Player, 01-05) at UCLA.
- DL Jonathan Allen (2013-16), LB Ryan Anderson (13-16), LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (14-17) and DT Daron Payne (15-17) played with Titans LB Rashaan Evans (14-17) and RB Derrick Henry (13-15) at Alabama.
- S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (2011-13) also played with Titans RB Derrick Henry at Alabama.
- OL Luke Bowanko (2009-13) and T Morgan Moses (09-13) played with Titans WR Darius Jennings (11-14) and OL Austin Pasztor (08-11) at Virginia.
- WR Jehu Chesson (2013-16) played with Titans OL Taylor Lewan (10-13) at Michigan.
- LS Andrew East (2011-14) played at Vanderbilt when Titans Quality Control Coach Chandler Henley (12-14) worked there.
- WR Michael Floyd (2008-11) played for Notre Dame when Titans Defensive Assistant Scott Booker (10-16) worked there.
- CB Josh Holsey (2012-16) played with Titans LB Daren Bates (09-12) at Auburn. DL Matt Ioannidis (2012-15) played with Titans LB Sharif Finch (13-17) and RB David Fluellen (10-13) at Temple.
- LB Ryan Kerrigan (2007-10) played at Purdue when Titans OL Dennis Kelly (08-11) and Defensive Line Coach Terrell Williams (06-09) were members of the team.
- RB Byron Marshall (2011-15) played with Titans QB Marcus Mariota (12-14) at Oregon.
- QB Colt McCoy (2005-09) played with Titans LB Brian Orakpo (04-08) and S Kenny Vaccaro (09-12) at Texas.
- CB Fabian Moreau (2012-16) played with Titans LB Jayon Brown (13-16) and DE Matt Dickerson (14-17) at UCLA.
- TE Jordan Reed (2009-12) played at Florida when Defensive Assistant Ryan Crow (11) worked there.
- QB Mark Sanchez (2006-08) played with Titans DE Jurrell Casey (08-10) at USC.