REGULAR SEASON WEEK 15 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (6-7) VS. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (4-9)
Sunday, Dec. 16 | 1:00 p.m. ET
TIAA Bank Field (67,814) | Jacksonville, Fla.
The Washington Redskins will travel to face the Jacksonville Jaguars. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET. Last week in the loss to NY Giants, quarterback Josh Johnson entered the game in the second half and completed 11-of-16 pass attempts for 195 yards and one touchdown.
Johnson threw a 79-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter. The score was a career long touchdown pass for Johnson and his first touchdown pass since 2011 as a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He also rushed for 45 yards on seven attempts and scored his first career touchdown run.
The game was his first since Dec 22, 2013 when he was a member of the Cincinnati Bengals. Following the game, Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden named Johnson the starter for Week 15.
"I think the element he brings, a little bit, knowing the system," said Gruden. "He came in here and he was playing a pickup basketball game and came in here and is playing in the National Football League on a Sunday. My hat’s off to him for picking it up. Fortunately, he’s been around me for a while and can handle the terminology and did a pretty good job moving around."
SERIES HISTORY: Redskins lead Jaguars in all-time series, 5-1
Last meeting: Sept. 14, 2014 (41-10, WAS)
Kevin Harlan (play-by-play)
Rich Gannon (analyst)
Steve Tasker (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
Larry Michael (play-by-play)
Chris Cooley (analysis)
Rick “Doc” Walker (sidelines)
The Jacksonville Jaguars enter the game having lost eight of their last nine games after starting the season 3-1. Head Coach Doug Marron in his second full season with the team and is 15-16 in his tenure in Jacksonville. Marron also owns a career mark of 30-33 as a head coach.
The quarterback position has experienced a lot of turnover, with Blake Bortles and Cody Kessler rotating throughout the year. Bortles entered the season as the starter, but has struggled, going 223-for-369 for 2,572 yards, 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 11 games. Kessler is 64-for-97 for 546 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in three games.
Running back T.J. Yeldon has stepped up on offense to fill in for running back Leonard Fournette for seven games this year. Yeldon leads the team with 890 yards from scrimmage, as well a team high in rushing yards with 408. Yeldon also has tallied five touchdowns combined this season. Fournette has been effective when he's played, with 350 yards rushing and four touchdowns, while also tallying 139 yards and a touchdown receiving in six games.
Wide receiver Dede Westbrook has been the most effective receiver on the team, registering 641 yards on 53 receptions and recording a team high five receiving touchdowns. Donte Moncrief has provided a one-two punch with Westbrook, notching 42 receptions for 604 yards and three touchdowns this year.
The Jaguars defense has been one of the bright spots of the team so far and proven to be a challenging force. Up front, defensive ends Calais Campbell and Yannick Ngakoue have feasted on opposing quarterbacks, with seven sacks each and a combined 25 tackles for loss. Campbell has also recorded 55 tackles (39 solo) and two passes defensed, while Ngakoue has 19 tackles a team high 25 quarterback hits.
Cornerback Jalen Ramsey has maintained his status as one of the top defensive backs in the NFL. Ramsey has 53 tackles (50 solo), three interceptions and 10 passes defensed this season. The Jaguars defense has tallied 10 interceptions combined and cornerback A.J. Bouye has been a strong pairing with Ramsey, notching 49 tackles (42 solo), eight passes defensed and an interception.
Kicker Josh Lambo is 19-for-21 from field goal range this season, including a career long of 57 yards. Lambo now owns a career field goal percentage of 85.7% over his four year NFL career.
Fearless Faces Presented By CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
An up-close-and-personal look at the players from the team's 2018 Week 14 matchup against the New York Giants presented by CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield.
Sunday’s game between the Redskins and the Jaguars will be the seventh meeting between the two franchises since the Jaguars’ inception in 1995. The Redskins are 5-1 all-time against the Jaguars.
The Redskins have won the last three meetings and are 2-1 at Jacksonville. In the last meeting, Ryan Kerrigan recorded four sacks to help the defense hold Jacksonville to eight fi rst downs. Included below is a list of all games contested between the two franchises:
- Date Game Result
- 9/28/1997 vs. Jacksonville 24-12 W
- 10/22/2000 at Jacksonville 35-16 W
- 11/10/2002 at Jacksonville 26-7 L
- 10/1/2006 vs. Jacksonville 36-30 (OT) W
- 12/26/2010 at Jacksonville 20-17 (OT) W
- 9/14/2014 vs. Jacksonville 41-10 W
NOTABLE REDSKINS/JAGUARS CONNECTIONS
Former Jaguars on Redskins:
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan (RB-Player, 1995-97)
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O'Hara (2014-16)
- Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams (1995-96)
- C Luke Bowanko (2014-16)
Former Redskins on Jaguars:
- Secondary Coach Perry Fewell (2015-16)
- Offensive Line Coach Pat Flaherty (2000)
- Wide Receivers Coach Keenan McCardell (1991, 07-11)
- Tight Ends/Assistant Special Teams Coach Ron Middleton (1988, 90-93)
- Assistant Linebackers Coach Mike Rutenberg (2003-05)
- LB Martrell Spaight (2015-17)
Redskins from Florida:
- Head Coach Jay Gruden (Tampa, Fla.)
- Defensive Backs Coach Torrian Gray (Lakeland, Fla.)
- Assistant Special Teams Coach Bret Munsey (Winter Park, Fla.)
- Assistant Defensive Backs Coach James Rowe (Cocoa, Fla.)
- DL Caleb Brantley (Crescent City, Fla.)
- S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Orlando, Fla.)
- LB Pernell McPhee (Orlando, Fla.)
- CB Fabian Moreau (Davie, Fla.)
- C Demetrius Rhaney (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
- RB Chris Thompson (Greenville, Fla.)
Jaguars from the Washington D.C. area:
- DE Yannick Ngakoue (Washington, D.C.)
- S C.J. Reavis (Chester, Va.)
Redskins who went to college in Florida:
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (Florida)
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O'Hara (Miami)
- Assistant Defensive Backs Coach James Rowe (South Florida)
- DL Caleb Brantley (Florida)
- K Dustin Hopkins (Florida State)
- TE Jordan Reed (Florida)
- RB Chris Thompson (Florida State)
- Jaguars who went to college in the Washington, D.C. area:
- Offensive Assistant John Donovan (Johns Hopkins)
- Quarterbacks Coach Scott Milanovich (Maryland)
- DE Yannick Ngakoue (Maryland)
Notable Pro Connections:
- Head Coach Jay Gruden (2002-08), Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (WR-Player, 05-08), Director of Football Operations Paul Kelly (04-08), VP of Player Personnel Doug Williams (04-10) and QB Josh Johnson (08-11) and Jaguars Offensive Coordinator Nathaniel Hackett (06-07), Defensive Coordinator Todd Walsh (07-10), Wide Revivers Coach Keenan McCardell (WR-Player, 02-03) and Tight Ends/Assistant Special Teams Coach Ron Middleton (04-06) were all members of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (2002-06) worked for the San Diego Chargers when Jaguars Wide Receivers Coach Keenan McCardell (WR-Player, 04-06) played there.
- Manusky (2012-15) worked for the Indianapolis Colts when QB Josh Johnson (15), Jaguars WR Donte Moncrief (14-17) and LS Matt Overton (12-16) played there.
- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (1998-03), Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan (RB-Player, 98-02, 03) and Director of Football Operations Paul Kelly (98-03) were all members of the Oakland Raiders when Jaguars Running Backs Coach Tyrone Wheatley (RB-Player, 99-04) played there.
- Callahan (2012-14) and Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips (07-13) and Jaguars Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis (09-12), S Barry Church (10-16) and OL Jermey Parnell (10-14) were all members of the Dallas Cowboys.
- Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica (2007-13), Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (09-12), T Austin Howard (11-13) and QB Mark Sanchez (09-13) were all members of the New York Jets when Jaguars Assistant Offensive Line Coach Tony Sparano Jr. (12-13) worked there.
- Cavanaugh worked with Jaguars Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis for the Chicago Bears from 2013-14.
- Defensive Backs Coach Torrian Gray (2004-05) worked with Jaguars Secondary Coach Perry Fewell (05) for the Chicago Bears.
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (2013) and K Dustin Hopkins (13-14) and Jaguars Head Coach Doug Marrone (13-14), Offensive Coordinator Nathaniel Hackett (13-14), Assistant Defensive Line Coach Jason Rebrovich (13-16) and Running Backs Coach Tyrone Wheatley (13-14) were all members of the Buffalo Bills.
- Outside Linebacker Coach Chad Grimm (2009-12) worked for the Arizona Cardinals when WR Michael Floyd (12-16) and Jaguars DL Calais Campbell (08-16) played there.
- S D.J. Swearinger Sr. (2015-16) also played with Jaguars DL Calais Campbell on the Cardinals.
- Defensive Quality Control Coach Cannon Matthews (2008-11) worked with Jaguars Offensive Coordinator Nathaniel Hackett (08-09) and Secondary Coach Perry Fewell (06-09) for the Buffalo Bills.
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (2015-17), RB Kapri Bibbs (14-16), TE Vernon Davis (15), and QB Mark Sanchez (16) and Jaguars Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis (15-16), DT Malik Jackson (12-15) and DE Lerentee McCray (13-15) were all members of the Denver Broncos.
- Defensive Line Coach Tim Tomsula (2007-15) worked for the San Francisco 49ers when TE Vernon Davis (06-15), QB Josh Johnson (14), Jaguars TE Blake Bell (15-16) and RB Carlos Hyde (14-17) all played there.
Pro Player Connections:
- OL Tony Bergstrom (2012-15), T Austin Howard (14-16) and DL Stacy McGee (13-16) played with Jaguars CB D.J. Hayden (13-16) on the Oakland Raiders.
- Bergstrom (2016) played with Jaguars CB A.J. Bouye (13-16) and OL Josh Walker (16) on the Houston Texans.
- S D.J. Swearinger Sr. (2013-14) also played with Jaguars CB A.J. Bouye on the Texans.
- DL Caleb Brantley (2017) played with Jaguars QB Cody Kessler (16-17) on the Cleveland Browns.
- LB Zach Brown (2016) and QB Josh Johnson (15) played with Jaguars DT Marcell Dareus (11-17) and DE Lerentee McCray (16) on the Buffalo Bills. Jaguars Assistant Defensive Line Coach Jason Rebrovich worked there form 2013-16.
- S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (2014-18) played with Jaguars OL Josh Walker (14-15) on the Green Bay Packers.
- WR Michael Floyd played with Jaguars TE Blake Bell on the Minnesota Vikings in 2017.
- LB Mason Foster (2011-14) played with Jaguars G Patrick Omaneh (13-14) on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Foster (2015) and LB Pernell McPhee (15-17) also played with Jaguars G Patrick Omaneh (15) on the Chicago Bears.
- QB Josh Johnson (2012) and QB Colt McCoy (10-12) played with Jaguars S Tashaun Gipson Sr. (12-15) on the Cleveland Browns.
- Johnson (16) played with Jaguars T Ereck Flowers (15-18) on the New York Giants.
- C Demetrius Rhaney (2014-16) played with Jaguars S Cody Davis (13-17) on the Los Angeles Rams.
- QB Mark Sanchez (2016) played with Jaguars S Barry Church (10-16) on the Dallas Cowboys.
- LB Zach Vigil (2015-16) played with Jaguars CB Tyler Patmon (15) on the Miami Dolphins.
Notable Collegiate Connections:
- Inside Linebackers Coach Kirk Olivadotti (2011-13) worked at Georgia when LB Josh Harvey-Clemons (12-13) and Jaguars DT Abry Jones (09-12) played there.
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O’Hara (2011-13) worked at Miami when Jaguars T Ereck Flowers (12-14) played there.
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (2006-09) worked with Jaguars Assistant Linebackers Coach Mike Rutenberg (06-08) at UCLA.
- DL Jonathan Allen (2013-16), LB Ryan Anderson (13-16), LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (14-17) and DL Daron Payne (15-17) played with Jaguars S Ronnie Harrison (15-17) at Alabama.
- S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (2011-13) played with Jaguars RB T.J. Yeldon (12-14) at Alabama.
- DL Caleb Brantley (2014-16) played with Jaguars DL Taven Bryan (14-17) at Florida.
- WR Jehu Chesosn (2013-16) played at Michigan when Jaguars Running Backs Coach Tyrone Wheatley (15-16) worked there.
- WR Jamison Crowder (2011-14) played at Duke when Jaguars Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends Ron Middleton (08-12) worked there.
- TE Vernon Davis (2003-05) played at Maryland when Jaguars Offensive Assistant Coach John Donovan (01-10) worked there.
- S Deshazor Everett (2011-14) played with Jaguars K Josh Lambo (12-14) at Texas A&M.
- WR Michael Floyd (2008-11) played with Jaguars TE Ben Koyack (11-14) at Notre Dame.
- K Dustin Hopkins (2009-12) and RB Chris Thompson (09-12) played with Jaguars WR Rashad Greene Sr. (11-14) and LB Telvin Smith Sr. (10-13) at Florida State.
- G Zac Kerin (2009-13) played with Jaguars S Barry Church (06-09) at Toledo.
- DL Stacy McGee (2009-12) and P Tress Way (08-12) played with Jaguars TE Blake Bell (11-14) at Oklahoma.
- RB Samaje Perine (2014-16) played with Jaguars TE Blake Bell and WR Dede Westbrook (15-16) at Oklahoma.
- CB Fabian Moreau (2012-16) played with Jaguars DT Eli Ankou (12-16) and LB Myles Jack (13-15) at UCLA.
- TE Jordan Reed (2009-12) played with Jaguars DE Lerentee McCray (08-12) at Florida.
- QB Mark Sanchez (2006-08) played with Jaguars DT Malik Jackson (08-09) at USC.
- LB Preston Smith (2011-14) played with Jaguars P Logan Cooke (14-17) at Mississippi State.
- TE Jeremy Sprinkle (2013-16) played with Jaguars LB Martrell Spaight (13-14) at Arkansas.
- S D.J. Swearinger Sr. (2009-12) played with Jaguars OL A.J. Cann (11-14) and T Corey Robinson (12-14) at South Carolina.