REGULAR SEASON WEEK 8 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (4-2) VS. NEW YORK GIANTS (1-6)
Sunday, Oct. 28 | 1:00 p.m. ET
MetLife Stadium (82,000) | East Rutherford, N.J.
Following back-to-back wins at FedExField, the Washington Redskins will look to remain atop the NFC East when they travel to face the New York Giants. Kickoff at MetLife Stadium is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET.
The Redskins hold a one-and-a-half game lead over the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys and are 4-1 against teams in the NFC.
With the win over their rival Cowboys last week, the Redskins opened division play with a victory for the fi rst time since 2011 and a win over the NY Giants will give them their fi rst 2-0 start in the division since 2010.
The Redskins are coming off one of their best defensive performances of the season and have been one of the league's topics of discussion following their performance against Dallas. Head Coach Jay Gruden was asked about the defensive improvements from last year during his Monday afternoon podium session.
"We were last in the league last year, so it’s a major improvement," said Gruden. "I think getting Jonathan back has been huge, and obviously Daron Payne has been huge, and re-signing Zach and Mason has been big, and getting D.J. and Montae on the same page have been big... Preston and Ryan do an excellent job setting the edge and forcing everything back to the big guys."
SERIES HISTORY: Redskins trail all-time regular season series, 68-100-4
Last meeting: Dec. 31, 2017 (18-10 NYG)
Kenny Albert (play-by-play)
Charles Davis (color)
Pam Oliver (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
Larry Michael (play-by-play)
Chris Cooley (analysis)
Rick “Doc” Walker (sidelines)
The New York Giants entered the 2018 NFL Season with a new head coach, after firing Ben McAdoo. Pat Shurmur took the position and returned to a head coaching role that he last filled in 2015 with the Philadelphia Eagles on an interim basis. The Giants have begun the season with a 1-6 record.
Eli Manning returns for his 15th season in the NFL, all of which have come with the Giants. Manning has missed just one game in the last fourteen seasons, and is a two time Super Bowl Champion. The veteran has begun the season going 185-for-268 for 2,061 yards, seven touchdowns and four interceptions.
Manning has had a number of explosive offensive players around him season, including the 2018 2nd overall pick, running back Saquon Barkley. Barkley is off to one of the best seasons among rookies in the NFL, with 98 rushes for 481 yards and five touchdowns, while also tallying 49 receptions for 424 yards and two touchdowns.
In addition to Barkley, Manning has the dynamic duo of Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepherd, to throw to. Beckham continues to be one of the electrifying receivers in the league, with 53 receptions for 649 yards and two touchdowns. Not to be out done, Shepherd is having a breakout campaign, notching 36 receptions for 508 yards and two touchdowns.
The tight end position has its own dynamic duo, with veteran Rhett Ellison and youngster Evan Engram. Engram has 12 receptions for 120 yards and a touchdown, while Ellison has 13 receptions for 117 yards and a touchdown.
On defense, the Giants are led by safeties Landon Collins and Janoris Jenkins, as well as linebacker Alec Ogletree. Collins has tallied a team high 57 tackles and a team high 40 solo tackles. Jenkins has notched 33 tackles, 6 passes defended and two interceptions. Ogletree, in his first season in New York, has recorded 31 tackles and an interception.
On special teams, second year kicker Aldrick Rosas is off to a strong start, going 15 of 16 from field goal range, including a long of 53 yards, good for a career long. Rosas is also a perfect 8-for-8 on PAT's.
A look back at some of the top images in games between the Washington Redskins and New York Giants.
Sunday’s matchup between the Redskins and Giants will mark the 173rd overall meeting between the division rivals.
It will be the 171st regular season meeting between the two franchises. The Giants are the Redskins’ most common opponent. The Redskins trail the all-time series, 68-100-4.
The teams have split a pair of postseason games, including a 28-0 Redskins victory in the 1943 Eastern Division playoff. Included below are some of the more recent 172 previous games contested between the Redskins and Giants:
Date Game Result
- 10/27/1991 at NY Giants 17-13 W
- 12/15/1991 vs. NY Giants 34-17 W
- 11/1/1992 vs. NY Giants 24-7 L
- 12/6/1992 at NY Giants 28-10 W
- 10/10/1993 vs. NY Giants 41-7 L
- 11/14/1993 at NY Giants 20-6 L
- 9/18/1994 at NY Giants 31-23 L
- 11/27/1994 vs. NY Giants 21-19 L
- 10/29/1995 vs. NY Giants 24-15 L
- 12/10/1995 at NY Giants 20-13 L
- 9/15/1996 at NY Giants 31-10 W
- 10/20/1996 vs. NY Giants 31-21 W
- 11/23/1997 vs. NY Giants 7-7 (OT)
- 12/13/1997 at NY Giants 30-10 L
- 9/6/1998 at NY Giants 31-24 L
- 11/1/1998 vs. NY Giants 21-14 W
- 9/19/1999 at NY Giants 50-21 W
- 11/21/1999 vs. NY Giants 23-13 W
- 9/24/2000 at NY Giants 16-6 W
- 12/3/2000 vs. NY Giants 9-7 L
- 10/7/2001 at NY Giants 23-9 L
- 10/28/2001 vs. NY Giants 35-21 W
- 11/17/2002 at NY Giants 19-17 L
- 12/8/2002 vs. NY Giants 27-21 L
- 9/21/2003 vs. NY Giants 24-21 (OT) L
- 12/7/2003 at NY Giants 20-7 W
- 9/19/2004 at NY Giants 20-14 L
- 12/5/2004 vs. NY Giants 31-7 W
- 10/30/2005 at NY Giants 36-0 L
- 12/24/2005 vs. NY Giants 35-20 W
- 10/8/2006 at NY Giants 19-3 L
- 12/30/2006 vs. NY Giants 34-28 L
- 9/23/2007 vs. NY Giants 24-17 L
- 12/16/2007 at NY Giants 22-10 W
- 9/4/2008 at NY Giants 16-7 L
- 11/30/2008 vs. NY Giants 23-7 L
- 9/13/2009 at NY Giants 23-17 L
- 12/21/2009 vs. NY Giants 45-12 L
- 12/5/2010 at NY Giants 31-7 L
- 1/2/2011 vs. NY Giants 17-14 L
- 9/11/2011 vs. NY Giants 28-14 W
- 12/18/2011 at NY Giants 23-10 W
- 10/21/2012 at NY Giants 27-23 L
- 12/3/2012 vs. NY Giants 17-16 W
- 12/1/2013 vs. NY Giants 24-17 L
- 12/29/2013 at NY Giants 20-6 L
- 9/25/2014 vs. NY Giants 45-14 L
- 12/14/2014 at NY Giants 24-13 L
- 9/24/2015 at NY Giants 32-21 L
- 11/29/2015 vs. NY Giants 20-14 W
- 9/25/2016 at NY Giants 29-27 W
- 1/1/2017 vs. NY Giants 19-10 L
- 11/23/2017 vs. NY Giants 20-10 W
- 12/31/2017 at NY Giants 18-10 L
NOTABLE REDSKINS/COWBOYS CONNECTIONS
Former Giants on Redskins:
- Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (1990-91)
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (1997-04)
Redskins from the New York/New Jersey area:
- DL Matt Ioannadis (Flemington, N.J.)
- T Ty Nsekhe (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Giants from the Washington D.C. area:
- Offensive Coordinator Mike Shula (Baltimore, Md.)
- S Kamrin Moore (District Heights, Md.)
- CB B.W. Webb (Newport News, Va.)
- DE Kerry Wynn (Louisa, Va.)
Redskins who went to college in the New York/New Jersey area:
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (Colgate)
- Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica (West Point)
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kavan Latham (College of New Jersey)
Giants who went to college in the Washington D.C. area:
- QB Kyle Lauletta (Richmond)
- CB B.W. Webb (William & Mary)
- DE Kerry Wynn (Richmond)
Notable Pro Connections:
- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (2012-14) and Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips (07-13) worked for the Dallas Cowboys when Giants CB B.W. Webb (13) played there. Callahan served as Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach and Phillips as Tight Ends Coach.
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (2002-06, 11) worked with Giants Offensive Line Coach Hal Hunter (06-12) for the San Diego Chargers. Manusky served as Linebackers Coach 02-06/Defensive Coordinator (11) and Hunter as Assistant Offensive Line Coach (06)/Offensive Line Coach (07-11).
- Quarterbacks Coach/Passing Game Coordinator Kevin O’Connell played on the Chargers in 2012 when Giants Hal Hunter worked there and served as Offensive Coordinator.
- Manusky (2012-15) worked with Giants Defensive Coordinator James Bettcher (12), Hal Hunter (13-15) and Defensive Line Coach Gary Emanuel (12-17) for the Indianapolis Colts. Manusky served as Defensive Coordinator, Bettcher as Special Assistant to the Head Coach/Outside Linebackers, Hunter as Assistant Offensive Line (13-14)/Offensive Line Coach (15) and Emanuel as Defensive Line Coach.
- O’Connell (2015) worked for the Cleveland Browns when Giants G John Greco (11-16) played there. O’Connell served as Quarterbacks Coach.
- Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica (2007-13), Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (09-12) and Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kavan Latham (14-16) worked for the New York Jets when Giants DT Damon Harrison (12-15) played there. Kotwica served as Assistant Special Teams Coach (09-12)/Special Teams Coordinator (13), Cavanaugh as Quarterbacks Coach and Latham as Strength and Conditioning Intern (14)/Asst. Strength and Conditioning Coach (15-16).
- Latham also worked with Giants Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey (2014) for the Jets. McGaughey served as Special Teams Coordinator.
- Outside Linebacker Coach Chad Grimm (2009-12) worked with Giants Assistant Defensive Backs Coach Deshea Townsend (11-12) for the Arizona Cardinals. Grimm served as Offensive Quality Control Coach and Townsend as Assistant Defensive Backs Coach.
- Defensive Quality Control Coach Cannon Matthews (2008-11) worked with Giants Wide Receivers Coach Tyke Tolbert (04-09) for the Buffalo Bills. Matthews served as Defensive/Special Teams Coaching Assistant and Tolbert as Wide Receivers Coach.
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O’Hara (2014-16) worked for the Jacksonville Jaguars when Giants G Patrick Omameh (16-17) played there. O’Hara served as an Offensive Coaching Associate.
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (2015-17), RB Kapri Bibbs (14-16) and TE Vernon Davis (15) and Giants Tyke Tolbert (11-17), P Riley Dixon (16-17) and WR Bennie Fowler (15-17) were all members of the Denver Broncos. Rauscher served as Offensive Assistant (15-16)/Assistant to Head Coach (17) and Tolbert as Wide Receivers Coach.
- Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula (2007-15) worked with Giants Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey (15) for the San Francisco 49ers. TE Vernon Davis played on the team from 06-15. Tomsula served as Head Coach and McGaughey as Special Teams Coordinator.
Pro Player Connections:
- OL Tony Bergstrom (2012-15) played with Giants DE Mario Edwards (15-17) and TE Scott Simonson (14) on the Oakland Raiders.
- Bergstrom (2017), WR Michael Floyd (12-16), RB Adrian Peterson (17) and S D.J. Swearinger Sr. (15-16) and Giants Defensive Coordinator James Bettcher (13-17), Assistant Special Teams Coach Anthony Blevins (13-17), LB Kareem Martin (14-17), DE Josh Mauro (14-17) and RB Elijhaa Penny (16-17) were all members of the Arizona Cardinals. Bettcher served as Outside Linebackers Coach (13-14)/Defensive Coordinator (15-17) and Blevins as Coaching Assistant/Special Teams.
- Floyd (2016) played with Giants T Nate Solder (11-17) on the New England Patriots.
- Floyd (2017) and Peterson (07-16) played on the Minnesota Vikings when Giants Head Coach Pat Shurmur (16-17) worked there. Shurmur served as Tight Ends/Offensive Coordinator (16)/Offensive Coordinator (17).
- Peterson also played on the Vikings when Giants Running Backs Coach Craig Johnson (11-13) and TE Rhett Ellison (12-16) were members of the team. Johnson served as Quarterbacks Coach.
- Peterson (2017) played with Giants LB Nate Stupar (16-17) on the New Orleans Saints.
- Swearinger Sr. (2015) played with Giants WR Russell Shepard (13-16) on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- DL Caleb Brantley played with Giants CB Mike Jordan and CB B.W. Webb on the Cleveland Browns in 2017.
- LB Zach Brown (2012-15) played with Giants CB Curtis Riley (15-17), QB Alex Tanney (15-17) and CB B.W. Webb (15) on the Tennessee Titans.
- WR Jehu Chesson (2017) and QB Alex Smith (13-17) played with Giants LB Ukeme Eligwe (2017) on the Kansas City Chiefs.
- LB Mason Foster (2011-14) played with Giants G Patrick Omameh (13-14) and WR Russell Shepard (13-16) on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Foster (15) and LB Pernell McPhee (15-17) and Giants Assistant Offensive Line Coach Ben Wilkerson (15-17), DT John Jenkins (17) and G Patrick Omameh (15) were all members of the Chicago Bears. Wilkerson served as Assistant Offensive Line Coach.
- G Shawn Lauvao (2010-13) and QB Colt McCoy (10-12) played on the Cleveland Browns when Giants Head Coach Pat Shurmur (11-12) and G John Greco (11-16) were members of the team. Shurmur served as Head Coach.
- Lauvao also played with Giants QB Alex Tanney on the Browns in 2013.
- CB Josh Norman (2012-15) played on the Carolina Panthers when Giants Offensive Coordinator Mike Shula (11-17), Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey (16-17) and TE Scott Simonson (15-17) were all members of the team. Shula served as Quarterbacks Coach (11-12)/Offensive Coordinator (13-17) and McGaughey as Special Teams Coordinator.
- T Ty Nsekhe (2014) played with Giants DT John Jenkins (13-16) on the New Orleans Saints.
- WR Brian Qucik (2012-16) played with Giants CB Janoris Jenkins (12-15), CB Mike Jordan (16) and LB Alec Ogletree (13-17) on the St. Louis/LA Rams.
- WR Paul Richardson Jr. (2014-17) played with Giants DT John Jenkins (16) on the Seattle Seahawks.
- LB Zach Vigil (2015-16) played on the Miami Dolphins when Giants S Michael Thomas (13-17), LB Olivier Vernon (12-15) and Defensive Backs Coach Lou Anarumo (12-17) were all members of the team. Anarumo served as Defensive Backs Coach.
Notable Collegiate Connections:
- Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams (2011-13) worked with Giants Assistant Offensive Line Coach Ben Wilkerson (12-13) at Grambling State. Williams served as Head Coach and Wilkerson as Offensive Line Coach.
- Williams also worked at Grambling State with Giants Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Thomas Stallworth (08-11). Stallworth served as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan (2012-13) worked at North Carolina when Giants LB Kareem Martin (10-13) played there. Jordan served as Running Backs Coach.
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O’Hara (2011-13) worked at Miami when Giants LB Olivier Vernon (09-11) played there. O’Hara served as a Student Assistant (11-12)/Graduate Assistant (13).
- Inside Linebackers Coach Kirk Olivadotti (2011-13) worked at Georgia when LB Josh Harvey-Clemons (12-13), Giants DT John Jenkins (11-12) and LB Alec Ogletree (10-12) played there. Olivadotti served as Inside Linebackers Coach.
- S Troy Apke (2014-17) played with Giants RB Saquon Barkley (15-17) and CB Grant Haley (14-17) at Penn State.
- DL Jonathan Allen (2013-16), LB Ryan Anderson (13-16) and LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (14-17) played with Giants S Landon Collins (12-14) and DT Dalvin Tomlinson (13-16) at Alabama.
- DL Daron Payne (2015-17) also played with Giants DT Dalvin Tomlinson at Alabama.
- LB Zach Brown (2008-11) played with Giants LB Kareem Martin (10-13) at North Carolina. Giants Defensive Coordinator James Bettcher (07-09) worked there and served as a Graduate Defensive Assistant.
- WR Jehu Chesson (2013-16) played at Michigan when Giants Strength and Conditioning Coach Aaron Wellman (11-14) worked there. Wellman served as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- DL Matt Ioannidis (2012-15) played with Giants S Sean Chandler (14-17) at Temple.
- K Dustin Hopkins (2009-12) and RB Chris Thompson (09-12) played with Giants DE Mario Edwards (12-14) at Florida State.
- LB Ryan Kerrigan (2007-10) played at Purdue when Giants Defensive Line Coach Gary Emanuel (10-11) and Defensive Backs Coach Lou Anarumo (04-11) worked there. Emanuel served as Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line Coach and Anarumo as Defensive Backs Coach.
- S Kenny Ladler (2010-13) played with Giants C Spencer Pulley (11-15) at Vanderbilt.
- RB Samaje Perine (2014-16) played with Giants WR Sterling Shepherd (12-15) at Oklahoma.
- P Tress Way (2008-12) also played with Giants WR Sterling Shepherd at Oklahoma.
- LB Pernell McPhee (2007-10) played at Mississippi State when Giants Assistant Special Teams Coach Anthony Blevins (05-07) worked there. Blevins served as a Graduate Assistant.
- TE Jordan Reed (2009-12) played with Giants CB Janoris Jenkins (08-10) at Florida.
- WR Paul Richardson Jr. (2010-13) played with Giants T Nate Solder (06-10) at Colorado.
- LB Preston Smith (2011-14) played at Mississippi State when Giants Assistant Defensive Backs Coach Deshea Townsend (13-15) and Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Thomas Stallworth (12-15) worked there. Townsend served as Cornerbacks Coach and Stallworth as Associate Strength and Conditioning Coach.