How do we apply for a Loads of Love (LOL) Laundry Center?
To apply for grant funding for a LOL Laundry Center, visit Redskins.com/LOLApplication. Applications will be available starting March 18, 2019.
Who is eligible to apply for the LOL Program?
Schools and non-profit organizations serving youth in the District of Columbia, Virginia and Prince George’s and Montgomery Counties in Maryland are eligible to apply for funding.
How often will grant funding be available for the LOL Program?
The grant cycle for the LOL Program will be once a year and offered to new sites at the end of each school year for the following academic year.
What information is necessary when completing the application?
Applicants must be able to provide the following:
- Proof of non-profit status
- School/non-profit site demographics
- Information on how your site will utilize the grant funding
- Additional supporting documents (i.e. sample budget, photos of site, W-9 form)
What are we eligible to purchase with our grant funding?
Schools and non-profit organizations receiving grant funding are required to purchase items that will be used to create a LOL Laundry Center at their site. This includes, but is not limited to, washer and dryer units, laundry materials and supplies and any installation costs associated with plumbing, electrical and HVAC.
How have groups implemented the day to day operations of a LOL Center?
There are many different strategies and tactics that current locations have used to effectively implement the program and to meet their participants’ needs. Below are tactics to consider when developing your implementation strategies:
- Selecting participants: information can be sent to all site participants or target those they feel may benefit the most. You can also consider piloting with a small number of children in the first few months while learning the best implementation strategies for your site. Other sites have opened their LOL Centers to families after school hours to provide an additional service to families to wash additional clothes.
- Identifying volunteers: the success of the LOL Program will depend heavily on the individuals who will wash clothes at your site. Whether this is a collection of parent volunteers, staff or community members, it is imperative that the right group of individuals is in place to ensure consistency around the services you are providing.
- Laundry schedule: Create a schedule that works best for your volunteers or staff who will be running the program. Designate certain times of the day for pick-up and drop-off of laundry, as well as how participants can discreetly get their items to the site.
I don’t know if my LOL site is up to building code – how do I check this?
Coordinate with your building supervisor or maintenance technician to ensure the space that you have selected is capable of housing a washer and dryer unit.
What are factors to consider when selecting a space for our LOL Center?
Selecting the right space at your site is key to the success of the program. It’s important to make sure that the location for your laundry center is easily accessible and allows enough room for the basic laundry tasks of washing, drying and folding.
Current participating locations have transformed custodial closets, faculty restrooms and existing washrooms into the ideal space for their LOL Center. A few things to keep in mind when selecting your space:
- Accessibility for students and volunteers
- Space needed to complete laundry tasks
- Space readiness: What work will need to be completed prior to opening the laundry center? Will this location fit all of the equipment I need for a successful program (washer, dryer, folding tables, shelves, etc.)?
- Proximity to current plumbing, electrical outlets, and ventilation