Frequently Asked Questions:
- • What are the minimum qualifications to be a Washington Redskins Cheerleader?
- • Do I have to take Prep Classes?
- • When, where and how much do the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders rehearse?
- • What will the judges focus on during auditions?
- • How much of a time commitment is being a Washington Redskins Cheerleader?
- • What should I wear to auditions?
- • What do I need to bring to the auditions?
What are the minimum qualifications to be a Washington Redskins Cheerleader?
- Must be at least 18 by April 5, 2019.
- Hold a full/part-time job, or attend school full time, or have a family
- Have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Ladies from all over the country audition each year. If you are chosen to be a Washington Redskins Cheerleader, you must relocate to the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
Are there any height and weight requirements?
You should look physically fit; but we have no set limits. We do not have a minimum or maximum height/weight requirement.
Will I make the squad if I have a tattoo or facial/body piercings?
If tattoo is visible in the uniform or practice wear, you must have it covered with make up at all times. Facial and Body piercings must be removed when in uniform or practice wear.
Is there an age limit?
You must be at least 18 by April 5, 2019. There is no maximum age limit.
How should I wear my hair and makeup?
Your hairstyle and makeup should complement your features. Think glamorous. You may want to contact the official hair salon for the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders, Robert Andrew Salon, to ask for advice on the perfect hairstyle for you. You may also attend our Bonus Workshop that will feature our hair & makeup artist for additional advice.
What type of photo should I submit with my application?
All applicants must submit a recent full body photo in athletic wear with their application.
What should my video include with my application?
Think elevator pitch & tell us about you in 0:30 to 1 minute.
Can my family watch any part of the auditions or Prep Classes?
No, the Prep Classes and the first rounds of auditions are closed to the public. However, the Final Audition Show is open to the public. It is being held at Howard Theater on Friday, April 5, 2019
Do I have to take Prep Classes?
No, however it is highly recommended that you take as many prep classes and seminars as possible. This is where you will learn all of our various dances and styles even from our captains, leaders on the team and cheerleader directors. Those that attend all 10 Prep Classes will advance to the Quarter Final round Saturday afternoon. Candidates must still attend interview and preliminary rounds.
Can I take the Prep Classes even if I am not going to audition?
Yes, these are among the best adult dance and fitness classes offered in the area. If you miss dancing and want to take the classes to improve your dance technique or stay in shape, then these classes are for you.
Do I have to attend all days of the auditions?
YES, you must start the first night and should plan on staying during the entire audition process.
Is the squad more dance-oriented than cheerleading and stunting?
Dance! We have our own style of dance with emphasis on Jazz and Hip Hop. Tumbling is a plus.
Who are the Fan Team Ambassador members and how can I become one?
The Fan Team Ambassadors are a group of men and women who entertain fans at Redskins home games. Team members fill a variety of roles including performing, mixing with fans in the stadium, flag running, and community appearances. Fan Team Ambassadors have auditions separate from the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders, roughly two weeks after the Cheerleader Final Audition Show. Special early invitations to Fan Team Ambassador auditions will be extended to participants across all rounds of Cheerleader auditions. Fan Team Ambassadors are expected to attend monthly team meetings and all Redskins home games.
Do I have to come to the Auditions if I only want to become a member of the Fan Team Ambassadors?
Fan Team Ambassadors have auditions separate from the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders, roughly two weeks after the Cheerleader Final Audition Show. While it is recommended that you attend Cheerleader Auditions, it is not required. Participants in Cheerleader Auditions can specify on their application that they are interested in being contacted about Fan Team Ambassador auditions. If you are interested in learning more about Fan Team Ambassador auditions, please contact Jamilla Keene at email@example.com.
If I am selected as a Fan Team Ambassador and want to still become a Redskins Cheerleader, can I audition next year?
Absolutely! This is a great way for you to learn what it takes to become a Washington Redskins Cheerleader and be involved with our fans to help to achieve this goal. You will also be working closely with Redskins and Cheerleader Staff on game days.
When, where and how much do the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders rehearse?
- Anywhere from 2-5 times per week.
- Full squad rehearsals are primarily held on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6:30 pm until 10:30 pm. Saturday and/or Sunday rehearsals may be in the morning or afternoon and will be scheduled several times throughout the year.
- If you are selected for additional traveling appearances, rehearsals for this will be in addition to the regular scheduled rehearsals.
- All rehearsal will be held at FedExField in the Cheerleader Studio. A few rehearsals throughout the year will be held at Redskin Park in Ashburn VA.
- All rehearsals are mandatory.
What will the judges focus on during auditions?
- Dance Technique
- Personal Appearance
- Communication Skills
- Kick Technique
- On Camera Presence
What is the photo round?
Each Finalist will go through a photo and video shoot. They will be judged on comfort level in front of the camera and the final shots will be given a score.
Do I have to make up my own routine?
No, for the first round of auditions you will be required to free-style dance and we recommend you not pre-choreograph this. This will take place to a one minute upbeat piece of top 40 style music. This is a way for the judges to see your natural movement and your choreography is not judged. For all other rounds, you will be taught all the choreography you will dance. Free-style will be worked on during the prep classes.
How much of a time commitment is being a Washington Redskins Cheerleader?
- In addition to attending every rehearsal and home games, the Redskins Cheerleaders participate in several hundred appearances a year all over the world. Each cheerleader should plan on making at least twenty (20) appearances during the year.
- The time spent a week at rehearsals, games and appearances can range from 12 to 20 hours
- At the prep classes you will be able to meet several of the current squad members and ask them how they manage their time.
Do I have to pay for the uniform?
No, all uniforms, practice attire, warm-ups, earrings, shoes, boots, and poms are supplied for each cheerleader. You are responsible for the care of the uniforms and attire supplied to you.
What should I wear to auditions?
- Your outfit can be any color and any style, and must be two pieces (i.e. a crop top/sports bra and dance trunks/briefs/shorts). Torso must be visible. If you wish to order a costume, you may do so from www.thelineup.com. Keep in mind the judges need to be able to picture what you would look like in the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders uniform.
- Sample audition attire will be available for purchase during our Bonus Workshop & Vendor Showcase.
- Flesh-colored pantyhose
- Dance sneaker, dance boots, or jazz shoes.
Are all the Prep Classes different and can I audition if I do not attend any of the classes?
- The Prep Classes are designed to offer different choreography each day.
- You may still audition if you do not attend any of the Prep Classes. The Prep Classes are optional, but strongly recommended. Even if you have danced your entire life you will still learn important information about the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders.
What do I need to bring to the auditions?
- Bring a lunch or snack and a water bottle.
- Extra audition outfit and tights. Just in case anything happens.
- If you have not attended a Prep Class, please bring $60 cash, money order or credit card for the registration fee.
- If you have attended prep classes, there is NO FEE to audition.
What is the best way for me to find out if I have what it takes to be a Redskins Cheerleader?
Attend at least one prep class EARLY! Many people wait until the last week when you don't have to time to prepare.