With free agency set to begin in March, Redskins.com's Stephen Czarda previews the 2017 NFL free agent class position-by-position. Today's focus is on the quarterbacks.
For the second time in as many years, quarterback
After completing his rookie contract following a breakout season in 2015, the Washington Redskins placed the franchise tag on Cousins for 2016. He quickly signed it before getting to work.
As of Wednesday, the Redskins have until 4 p.m. on March 1 to determine if they want to designate Cousins their franchise tagged player once again. If the team elects to go that route again, they’ll still have until July 15 to work out a long-term deal.
However, if Washington doesn’t use the franchise tag on Cousins and the two sides don’t come to an agreement on a new deal by the beginning of March, the 2016 Pro Bowler will join the list of free agent quarterbacks looking for new contracts.
Here is a list of the quarterbacks currently scheduled to become unrestricted free agents at 4 p.m. ET March 1, via NFL.com:
- Matt Schaub, Atlanta Falcons
- Ryan Mallett, Baltimore Ravens
- EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills
- Brian Hoyer, Chicago Bears
- Matt Barkley, Chicago Bears
- Josh McCown, Cleveland Browns
- Mark Sanchez, Dallas Cowboys
- Kellen Moore, Dallas Cowboys
- Dan Orlovsky, Detroit Lions
- Case Keenum, Los Angeles Rams
- T.J. Yates, Miami Dolphins
- Shaun Hill, Minnesota Vikings
- Josh Johnson, New York Giants
- Ryan Nassib, New York Giants
- Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets
- Geno Smith, New York Jets
- Matt McGloin, Oakland Raiders
- Landry Jones, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Kellen Clemens, San Diego Chargers
- Blaine Gabbert, San Francisco 49ers
- Christian Ponder, San Francisco 49ers
- Thad Lewis, San Francisco 49ers
- Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Matt Cassel, Tennessee Titans
- Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins
Among the group of free agent quarterbacks includes 37-year-old Josh McCown, who just completed his 14th NFL season. While McCown was recently released by the Cleveland Browns, the 2002 third-round pick is still hoping to catch on with a team in 2017.
For his career, McCown has thrown for 14,242 yards and 79 touchdowns to 69 interceptions. His best season came in 2013 with the Chicago Bears, as he threw for 1,829 yards and 13 touchdowns to just one interception in eight games.
Matt Schaub, meanwhile, has spent the last three seasons on three different teams after a lengthy stint as starting quarterback for the Houston Texans.
EJ Manuel, Mark Sanchez Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder are all former first round picks.