When head coach Mike Shanahan named rookie quarterback
The hopes of many at Redskins Park is that Griffin III will be the missing piece to a young, dynamic offense.
"He's going to be here for the next decade or so," Shanahan said in May. "He's going to do things you've never seen quarterbacks do."
Despite coming to a franchise with a storied tradition at quarterback, few of the Redskins legends started their careers in Washington. Even fewer were given the starting nod so early in their careers.
When Griffin III takes the field on Sunday Sept. 9 in New Orleans, he will be just 22 years and 7 months old, the youngest of any Redskins starter in decades.
As a Week 1 starter, he will also be given an opportunity to set new franchise and NFL rookie passing marks.
Listed below are the rookie season records to keep an eye on throughout the season:
**Note: The NFL did not adopt a 14-game schedule until 1961. The NFL did not adopt a 16-game schedule until 1978.
Highest Rookie Passer Rating (min. 150 att.):
- Redskins: 76.5, Jason Campbell, 2007.
- NFL: 98.1, Ben Roethlisberger (PIT) 2004.
Most Passes Completed by Rookie:
- Redskins: 172, Norm Snead, 1961.
- NFL: 354, Sam Bradford (STL) 2010.
Highest Completion Pct. by Rookie:
- Redskins: 53.1, Jason Campbell, 2007.
- NFL: 66.44, Ben Roethlisberger (PIT) 2004.
Most Yards Gained by Rookie:2,337, Norm Snead, 1961.
- Redskins: 2,337, Norm Snead, 1961.
- NFL: 4,051, Cam Newton (CAR) 2011.
Highest Average Gain by Rookie: 7.32, Eddie LeBaron, 1952.
- Redskins: 7.22, Al Dorow, 1954.
- NFL: 9.411, Greg Cook (CIN) 1969.
Most Touchdown Passes by Rookie: 14, Eddie LeBaron, 1952.
- Redskins:14, Eddie LeBaron, 1952.
- NFL: 26, Peyton Manning, (IND) 1998.
Lowest Pct. Of Passes Intercepted by Rookie: 3.5, Patrick Ramsey, 2002.
- Redskins:3.5, Patrick Ramsey, 2002.
- NFL: 1.98, Charlie Batch (DET) 1998.
There are no guarantees in the NFL, and no rookie season should be gauged simply on personal stats. Of the NFL record holders (Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, Charlie Batch, Greg Cook, Ben Roethlisberger and Sam Bradford), only Roethlisberger's Steelers had a winning record.
But if the supporting cast stays healthy and Griffin III fulfills his coach's expectations, he has a great chance to rewrite some rookie passing records.