The Redskins are embarking on several initiatives to promote National Breast Cancer Awareness Month throughout October at both FedExField and Redskins Park.
More than 20 area women currently battling breast cancer, or “All-Stars,” will attend an afternoon of pampering, support and celebration. The breast cancer survivors will receive new jeans donated by Gap Inc., as well as new wigs, scarves, makeup and a custom-made pink and burgundy Redskins jersey.
The All-Stars will also be wearing pink New Era caps on-field during player introductions at the Redskins breast cancer awareness game, which will be held on Sunday, Oct. 7 against the Atlanta Falcons. The game will feature:
- Game balls with pink ribbon decals used for every down and pink kicking tees.
- Pink equipment for players including: cleats, wristbands, gloves, sideline caps, helmet decals, captains’ patches, chin straps, shoe laces, skull caps, sideline towels, eye shield decals and quarterback towels.
- Pink coins used for the coin toss.
- Pink sideline caps for coaches and sideline personnel and pink ribbon pins for coaches and team executives.
- Pink caps, wristbands, whistles and pins for game officials.
- On-field pink ribbon stencils and wall banners.
- Pink goal post padding in end zones.
- Breast cancer awareness pompoms, shirts and wristbands for cheerleaders.
Fans attending the Oct. 7 game will be welcomed by Mrs. Snyder, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield and hundreds of Zeta Tau Alpha members distributing THINK-PINK!® ribbons and breast cancer awareness educational materials.
Mrs. Snyder and ZTA started the campaign for breast cancer awareness in 1999. At the time, the Redskins were the only team in the league to participate.
Thirteen years later, 20 of the 32 teams in the NFL participate in the ZTA THINK-PINK!® campaign. With the founding and continuous support of Mrs. Snyder and the Washington Redskins, ZTA created a national model for its THINK-PINK!® breast cancer awareness and education campaign throughout the NFL.
On Oct. 25, Mrs. Snyder will be honored by the Men Against Breast Cancer organization with the Gloria Heyison Inspiration Award for her breast cancer awareness efforts.
The Redskins Breast Cancer Awareness campaign is part of the NFL’s A Crucial Catch initiative.
Make the crucial catch and find a screening centernear you!